Special Education

The degree programme in Special Education in Hannover consists of the Bachelor’s Degree in Special Education and the Master’s Degree in Special Education.

Additionally, in line with the certificate programme for a Second Subject in Special Education, you can qualify to teach a second school subject.

Transfers and Recognition of Examination Performances

  • Assessment and Classification for University- or Subject-Transfers as well as Second Course of Study

    Assessment and Classification for University- or Subject-Transfers as well as Second Course of Study

    • Advice for applicants concerning assessment in a higher semester as well as degrees that were not obtained in Germany (does not apply for the professional subject areas Metals Technology and Electrical Engineering, as these have their own regulations).

      Assessment and Classification for University- or Subject-Transfers as well as Second Course of Study

      Applicants that have already obtained credit points at other universities, or students at the Leibniz University Hannover who which to transfer to a higher semester, need to apply for an assessment and categorization of semester by their desired degree programme. Immatriculation in a higher semester is only possible if the subject advisory service of the desired degree has carried out a categorization recommendation and attached it to the application documents. The application for a categorization, therefore, needs to be carried out before the end of the application period. However, a categorization is not necessary if a subject transfer is requested into the first semester of the newly chosen degree subject; the application is sufficient here.

      Transfer Procedure:

      1. Categorization Recommendation by the Subject Advisory Service
         Seek out the subject advisory service (see the website for the respective subject) for the professional subject field and/or teaching subject, according to the area in which the categorization should take place. The Subject Advisory Service releases a semester recommendation according to the presented original documents about assessments and  examinations in the respective subject, the professional subject area or the Profession- or Economic-Teaching-Methodology. The form for the transfer recommendation can be found under downloads.

      2. Application to the Immatriculation Office
         The semester recommendation of the student advisory service are submitted with the application documents to the Immatriculation Office. You can be registered if there is a free spot in your desired semester of your desired degree programme. Please adhere to the application period (15.01. amd 15.07. of each year).

  • Recognition of Teacher Education Degrees from Abroad (Adjustment Degrees)

    Generally it is possible to transfer degrees obtained abroad as long as the credits earned abroad align with the requirements for the Lower Saxony teacher education degree.

    Teachers from the EU including Norway, Lichtenstein, Iceland and Switzerland may request Degree Recognition through the guideline 2005/36/EG. Information on the recognition procedure can be found on the website of the Lower Saxony Ministry of Culture.

    Teachers from outside of the EU may request an Assessment of Equivalence according to the Lower Saxony Law regarding the Assessment of Equivalence of Professional Qualification obtained Abroad, also at the Ministry of Culture.

    Lower Saxony Ministry of Culture

    Insufficient Teacher Education Qualification obtained Abroad

    If the examination of the Lower Saxony Ministry of Culture has determined which further studies are required for the presented degree in order to transfer into teacher education or be placed in the teaching profession, you may register for an auditor degree for the Adaption Course at the Leibniz University Hannover.

    Under these circumstances please initially contact the ZEW - Central Institute for Professional Development


    Teacher education degrees started but not finished Abroad

    For transfers of credits obtained in teacher education degrees begun but not completed abroad falls under the responsibility of the Lower Saxon universities.

  • Transfers of Assessments and Examinations

    Transfers of Assessments and Examinations

    The transfer of assessments and examinations that have been completed at other universities or in other degree programmes, may be applied for via the respective Examination Board after successful registration.

    Transfer Procedure:

    1. Download the form on the page of the Examination Office.
       You can find the forms under the following links:
       a) Forms 
       Warning: Please use the respective form for the applicable Examination Regulation
       b) Form Master Special Education 

    2. Have the form filled out by the coordinator
       You may now contact the subject coordinator to whom you will present the form and your examination performances (original documentation required). The subject coordinator makes a recognition recommendation for the examination performances in the respective subject on the form. With the presentation of the graded examinations, the grade will be transferred, ungraded examinations will be transferred without a grade.
        Please hand in the applications and certificates at the Leibniz School of Education.

    3. Hand in the form at the Academic Examination Office
       Please hand in the filled-out form as well as the original or verified copies of the examination performances at the Academic Examination Office.

    4. Transfer of Assessments and Examinations through the Examination Board
       The examination board then decides on the transfer based on the recommendation of the Subject Advisory Service. The examination performances will then be recorded.

    5. Forwarding of the Credit Transfer to the Examination Board and Notices
       You will then receive a notice from the Examination Board once your credit transfer has taken place.

    Please note that the Credit Transfers must be handed in to the Academic Examination Board by the beginning of June, so you can hand in your application for the Master’s Degree in Teacher Education by the 15.07. of the same year!

    For questions please contact:

    Leibniz Universität Hannover
    Akademisches Prüfungsamt
    Welfengarten 1
    30167 Hannover

    Tel. +49 511.762 - 2020 (Servicehotline)
    Fax +49 511.762 - 2137

    E-Mail studium@uni-hannover.de

Application & Admission

Applications to the degree programmes are handled by the admissions office of the Leibniz University Hannover. Further information can be found on the application and degree programme pages on the central university website.

Applying for the Master’s

The Master’s programme Special Education is its’ own degree, which requires an application.

The Leibniz School of Education annually offers an informational event on applications for the Master’s degree Special Education.

Advise: Jana Pflughoft

Dipl.-Päd. Jana Pflughoft
Im Moore 11
30167 Hannover
Dipl.-Päd. Jana Pflughoft
Im Moore 11
30167 Hannover